Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Mandy's Story

I just needed a little breathing room.  That’s all.  And that is how it all started.


My husband had left me.  It was me and my two daughters, our RV and a new beginning.  We had very little, except each other and hope.  Hope won’t pay the bills so I did a search on the internet, looking for some short-term assistance to give us a bit of breathing room as I worked a few jobs.  I’m not afraid of working hard, and I just needed to breathe.  I found Lighthouse Christian Ministries in that search.  It was a “God thing.”


I got help with food and things, but what I really received was sustenance through faith.  The ministry led me to church and showed me how God has plans for me and my daughters.  Everyone at LCM is so gracious and giving.  They listen, and they let you help, too.  Not all groups are like that, but being able to give back with time and work is very important to my daughters and me. 


Not many ministries have things for kids the ages of my daughters.  Lighthouse does.  They love it, and they are genuinely interested in giving back through service.  They don’t feel like the “have to”; they simply are interested in helping.  Lighthouse allows that feeling.


Through the ministry, I gained a new husband:  God.  He watches over and protects us as we grow through our challenges and with our opportunities.  I didn’t always go to church.  I grew up in a family of faith, but I did not have a faith family until LCM.  My daughters were attending the ministry’s programs and I stayed home.  That didn’t seem right, so about 18 months ago I started coming to Lighthouse’s programs.  Since then, God has stepped up because I asked him to.  I believe in the power of prayer.   He told us to ask for what we need.  My daughters and I ask each other for prayers in challenging times.


We faced many challenging times.  And we’re doing well.  After several job changes and improvements, I am now a security supervisor.  How did I land a job like that?  It was another “God thing.”


We were able to move from the RV to a house.  I don’t know what else the future holds, but I trust what is to be.  I know that everything would have been different, and not better, if I had not found Lighthouse Christian Ministries and the chance to catch my breath.


I quote 1 Corinthians 15:10 freely.  It describes my life.  “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.”   I’m at peace with God’s plans.  I know I am in good hands.

(Story and Picture Captured by: Dion McInnis)

No comments:

Post a Comment