Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Maria's Story, a GED Graduate



I tried to get my GED several years ago at another place.  One of the teachers laughed at me for not knowing something and that changed my life.  It made me mad and I told myself that I would learn and someday I would tell her something.  I did learn.  But I won’t be telling her.

I don’t like to share my problems with other people.  I like to focus on the positive and on living a good life of opportunities.  My dad said that women don’t need college to change diapers.  I knew there is more to life.

I decided to try again to get my GED.  It is very important to me to get it.  Lighthouse Christian Ministries has a GED program and I enrolled in it.  That was why I came to the ministry about 11 years ago. 

I want the right life for me.  I don’t understand how people can have so many opportunities in this country and not use them.  I thought that I might be a physician’s assistant or a teacher.  I thought about being a vet, but now I’m afraid of dogs!  I knew I had to get my GED first for whichever path I chose, so I could go to college.  My son gives me the strength to go on and I must be an example to him.  I can’t expect him to work hard for a better life if he sees his mom not trying and not living.

It is very important to live the type of life you want.  That is why I never gave up taking classes for the GED.  And that is why I am now taking Life 101 at the ministry.  I want opportunities for me and my family.  I really didn’t have any back home.  We have to believe in ourselves.  All of us do.  We can’t care what others say.  Just believe and be unstoppable.  The people at Lighthouse have always believed in me, too, and helped me keep learning.  I enrolled in Life 101to help me find the right way and to help me find the type of job of what I really like to do.

Some people have told me to be an ESL teacher.  I like teaching, and I taught my son before he went into kindergarten.  He was ahead of everyone, and helped teach others in the class.  I guess I am a good teacher, after all.  I like teaching, and learning.

I wasn’t sure if I was ready to take the GED test, but the ministry team said I was.  They were right.  I received it a few weeks ago, and my life looks brighter every day.  I can’t describe the feeling.  I am proud of me.  My son is proud of me.  It feels wonderful.  I will never give up finding the right life for me. 

(Story captured by Dion McInnis)

No comments:

Post a Comment